Show Disregard for Ontario Immigration Deal
Hon. Maurizio Bevilacqua
– The Conservative government must immediately provide Ontario
with the $100 million it is withholding from the province under
the Canada-Ontario Immigration Agreement, Citizenship and
Immigration Critic Maurizio Bevilacqua said.
“This government has shown yet again its disregard for newcomers
by denying Ontario critical funding for immigrant settlement
agencies,” said Mr. Bevilacqua. “Clearly, this government
doesn’t consider immigration a priority.”
On Wednesday, the Ontario government charged that the
Conservatives were $100 million behind in their payments under the
$920–million Canada-Ontario Immigration Agreement, a five-year
deal signed by the previous Liberal government in 2005.
“It’s appalling that this government is talking out of both
sides of its mouth on the Canada-Ontario Agreement,” said Mr.
Bevilacqua “They take credit for the former Liberal
government’s success in negotiating a historic agreement with
Ontario, but when push comes to shove, fail to live up to it.”
Last year, over 250,000 newcomers came to Canada. Of that number,
more than 125,000 arrived in Ontario.
Mr. Bevilacqua called Ontario’s charge a wake up call for
Immigration Minister Diane Finley,
“This minister must get down to work with her Ontario
counterpart to ensure that new Canadians get the help they need
and Ontario gets the money it’s owed.”